Discovering the beauty of the underwater world is the highlight of every beach holiday, but to do it in a safe and comfortable way, you need good snorkeling equipment. This buying guide helps you to decide which snorkel set to buy by reviewing the best models for beginners and for travel.
Table of Contents
What makes a good snorkel set?
Buying a snorkel set is the best way of obtaining all the necessary equipment for snorkeling quickly, but pay attention to some details before picking up one. You need to choose a snorkel set that ensures an enjoyable water experience, therefore keep in mind what features your new mask, snorkel and flippers should provide.
A good snorkeling set includes:
- High-quality mask that has a food-grade silicone skirt, tempered glass lenses and easy-to-adjust buckles
- Good snorkel tube that guarantees effortless breathing and comes with a splashguard or dry-top
- A pair of good fitting snorkeling fins that are comfortable and efficient
- Additionally, a set may include an extra carry bag too that fits all the equipment for easy storing and transport
Which snorkeling set should I buy?
If you ask us what is the best snorkel set to buy, we say the one that fits your personal priorities, traveling style, snorkeling habits, and of course your budget the most. The snorkel gear selection is extremely wide nowadays, so to help with your decision, here are some useful aspects you should be going through when choosing a mask-snorkel-fins kit.
How to choose a snorkel set?
- Check the mask design, look for face shape recommendations: There are 2-window and single-lens snorkeling mask models available. The classic 2-window models are the most common, however single-lens versions provide a wider field of view. You can choose an Easybreath type model too that covers the whole face, but make sure to read what type of full-face masks are safe to use.
- Select a snorkel type: there are different snorkels on the market, classical J-type, semi-dry and dry snorkel versions. For casual snorkeling, the best is buying a semi-dry or dry snorkel set that prevents water from entering the tube. Should you need more information on this topic, read our full post on the types of snorkels.
- Decide on the fins type: your snorkeling fins make you swim faster and also help to navigate in the water. Long-blade models are more powerful, while the short trek fins are more compact. Choose a snorkel set for travel that comes with short-blade fins if you want to put it in your carry-on hand luggage. If you expect to snorkel often in strong current where having powerful fins is crucial, get long fins.
- Choose the correct size: the snorkeling equipment provides the best performance only if fits you, so the mask and fins need to be the right size. The mask has to form a good seal to prevent leaking, so seek the manufacturer’s recommendation regarding the sizing and fit. Some models fit wide faces, while others are designed for small, narrow faces. To be able to kick powerfully, fitting fins are important. Open-heel fins with adjustable straps allow some flexibility regarding sizing, like sharing the fins with family members who have smaller/bigger foot. Go for full-foot open-toe fins for the best fit and energy-transfer.
- Select your favorite color: last but not least, choose a color you like the most! Snorkeling is also about fun, so make sure to select a color you will happily wear!
Tip: if you are looking for snorkel gear for children, check out our kids snorkeling set recommendations!
The best 5 snorkel sets for adults
If you are looking for the best snorkeling gear for your next beach holiday, here are our top picks you should consider buying:
The Cressi Palau Snorkel Set is ideal for advanced recreational snorkelers. It includes Palau Short Fins, 2-window low volume mask, 100% dry snorkel and an extra carry mesh bag.
The low volume 2-window mask features 100% hypoallergenic double-feathered silicone skirt that adapts to most faces. Strong rapid action buckles ensure quick strap adjustments.
Adjustable open-heel short blade snorkel fins can accommodate a wide range of foot sizes making them perfect for sharing with family members! The soft-elastomer foot pockets can be used on bare feet offering outstanding comfort and versatility. Lightweight and compact, easy-to-pack, great for traveling.
For the most comfortable breathing, this Cressi snorkel set features a large diameter snorkel that comes with a special dry-top to seal the tube as you dive. The silicone mouthpiece is ergonomic to reduce jaw fatigue.
- high-quality set for travel with mesh bag
- low volume mask with micro-adjust buckles
- lightweight, responsive short fins
- ergonomic dry-top snorkel
Should you need more powerful fins, check the Cressi Palau Long Fins Set !
This Seavenger Set is an exclusive yet cheap snorkel set for beginners. It includes everything that you need for a perfect snorkeling holiday: panoramic mask, dry top snorkel, trek fins and a handy bag to store/transport your snorkel gear.
The mask has a tear-drop shape design that brings the lens closer to the pupils, therefore it provides a great panoramic view. For easy-breathing and fast water-clearing, the Seavenger snorkel is equipped with splashguard and purge valve. It also features a food-grade silicone mouthpiece and flexible tube section for maximum comfort.
The Seavenger snorkel set comes with short trek fins that are ideal not only for snorkeling but also for bodyboarding. With quick-release, easily adjustable straps, super-comfortable foot pockets and vented blades, these fins ensure maximum comfort and power. Moreover, this Seavenger Aviator set includes a compact, fast-drying plastic mesh bag. Available for kids and adults in various color variations.
- quality equipment at a good price
- tempered glass scratch-resistant mask
- dry-top snorkel, seals completely when underwater
- travel size compact fins
- sizes XXS to XL for all ages
Being one of the biggest gear suppliers in the US, no coincidence why you should check out the U.S. Divers snorkel sets range when looking for reliable snorkel gear for yourself or for your family. The company’s best-selling product, the US Divers Cozumel set is a great choice for adults.
It comes with the traditional Cozumel 2-window mask that fits most faces. Thanks to the mask’s design, it gives you a wide, unobstructed field of view. The Seabreeze snorkel features splash-top to keep the tube dry.
Another reason why the US Divers Cozumel set is so popular that it comes with full-foot fins. However, you need to pay more attention when choosing the size, but using full-foot fins are more comfortable in the long run and provide a better energy transfer.
Using these fins, your kicks will be more powerful, but it can happen that ladies will find them a little long and rigid. Therefore, we recommend the U.S. Divers Diva set that is specifically designed for women. Should you look for a snorkel set with GoPro mount, check out the U.S. Divers Lux Combo that comes with an action camera mount.
- best value for money equipment
- Cozumel traditional two-window mask
- ProFlex full-foot fins for better energy transfer
- SeaBreeze splash guard snorkel
- practical carry bag
The Speedo Adventure is one of the best snorkel sets available today for beginners and for travel at an affordable price. It costs nearly the same as a daily gear rental at most popular holiday destinations, so why would you use others’ mask and flippers if you can have your own equipment with a little investment?
Speedo snorkel set includes:
- Polycarbonate lenses mask with anti-fog coating for clear viewing. The Speed fit strap adjustment ensures easy-fitting, while the soft liquid silicone skirt guarantees a leak-free fit.
- Splash resistant snorkel with ergonomic mouthpiece
- open-heel quick-adjust flippers
- stylish travel-style set for youth and adults
- clear-view anti-fog mask lenses
- easily adjustable short fins
- available in white and black colors
Comfort and functionality! These are the main features of this Phantom Aquatics snorkel set that consists of a mask, open heel fins, snorkel and practical mesh bag.
Liquid silicone skirt mask provides comfort and perfect seal. The low internal volume design and tear-drop lenses ensure a wide field of view.
The Phantom Aquatics snorkel set includes open-heel short snorkeling fins, that are compact yet extremely powerful with adjustable straps for easy fitting. Soft foot pockets guarantee a blister-free snorkeling experience.
For comfortable breathing, the semi-dry snorkel has a flexible tube section and ergonomic silicone mouthpiece.