GoPro red filter – When and how to use it?
Adding a GoPro red filter to your action camera will significantly increase the quality of your underwater photos and videos. Use red filter while snorkeling or diving and enjoy clear, sharp images without post-processing! In this guide, we explain to you when and how to use a red filter and feature or top picks for Hero8 and Hero7 action cameras.
Table of Contents
- Why do you need GoPro red filter underwater?
- What does a red filter do?
- What is the difference between GoPro red and magenta filters
- Best GoPro red filters
- Camkix GoPro red filter review
Why do you need GoPro red filter underwater?
Have you ever felt unsatisfied when replaying your snorkeling videos because all the footage was bluish or greenish without real colors? If it comes to underwater photography or cinematography, the biggest problem is how to get back those beautiful colors of the corals and sea creatures.
One solution is to buy a compact waterproof camera that has UW settings to correct the colors. You also can edit your photos and videos on your computer using Photoshop, Lightroom, PremierPro or any other software that can do color grading, but you need to learn how to use them, so it takes time.
What if you have a travel size GoPro Hero6 / Hero5 camera only but still want to get perfectly colored underwater footage? Although GoPro cameras deliver great quality videos and sharp images but don’t have special settings for filming underwater. There are many different GoPro accessories for diving and snorkeling like underwater GoPro lights that can help you a lot to make your footage more natural. But the simplest solution for instant correction is using GoPro red filter!
Tip: read what is the best GoPro for underwater!
Why does everything look blue and green underwater?
Water begins to absorb colors immediately as we descend meaning colors look washed out even in shallow water. Red wavelengths are absorbed at around 5 meters (16ft), orange at 10 meters (32ft). Yellow disappears at 20 meters (66ft), green at 30 meters (98ft) and eventually blue at 60 meters (197ft).
This means the GoPro red filter is not only recommended for divers but also for snorkelers. Using GoPro red filter will instantly enhance colors and improve the contrast. Choose one of the filters according to conditions and depth, and enjoy a colorful GoPro footage!
What does a red filter do?
Underwater GoPro filters work by adding back the red color spectrum to the image. Like this, the camera can select the right white balance, meaning colors will be natural again and your underwater photos will be bright and sharp. So if you were ever wondering how underwater red filter correct colors, the answer is really this simple: just put it on and enjoy filming, the red filter will take care of the rest!
What is the difference between GoPro red and magenta filters
Underwater filters usually referred simply as red filter but it is important to know not all red filters are the same. Red filters are designed for a specific depth rate and some GoPro filter kits include additional colors like yellow or magenta filter too. You need a different filter if you dive in green water, in a freshwater lake or in the ocean according to this guide:
Red filter: use in blue water (tropical water). Generally, red filters work the best if you go deeper than 10-15 ft (3-5 m) but always check the recommended depth rate that you find on the filter itself or in the manual.
Magenta filter: use in green water. The magenta filter works the best in cold, greenish seawater or in lakes.
Yellow filter: optimized for night diving
Some brands offer snorkel filter as well (technically this is a light red filter) that is specially designed for shallow water snorkeling where a normal red filter for diving would be too much.
How to choose the right red filter
The filter you need to use depends mainly on the water conditions and on the depth of your dive. Always decide how deep you want to dive and choose a filter accordingly. Using a stronger filter won’t make your footage better but will make it too red. Our advice is to put the filters in a pouch and keep the red filter kit with you so you can change them if needed.
To avoid scratches, keep the filters in a storage bag when not in use. Before fixing the filter on your action camera, make sure that there is no sand or salt on it, otherwise, your footage might be spotty. Rinse them with fresh water after use. Use a clean, soft cloth for cleaning.
Tip: Did you know that creating professional split photos with your tiny action camera is much easier than it looks? Learn here how to take half underwater photos with a GoPro dome port!
Best GoPro red filters
PolarPro Red Filter for GoPro Hero8 Black
The worldwide known PolarPro offers a wide variety of digital cameras, drones and GoPro filters. The fact that all products are designed and developed by professional photographers guarantees that the PolarPro DiveMaster kit is one of the best GoPro red filter collection available today.
- designed for GoPro Hero8 Black SuperSuit housing
- 3 filters: red, magenta and snorkel filter
- easy-to-use, instant color correction
- secure dual-lockling installation
- with custom protective case to avoid scratches and damages
This PolarPro Red Filter Kit is designed to fit perfectly to the Hero Black SuperSuit housing and includes 3 custom developed aqua filters:
- red filter for tropical water from 15 to 80 ft deep (4.5-24 m)
- magenta filter for green water from 15 to 80 ft deep (4.5-24 m)
- snorkel filter for shallow tropical water from 2 to 15 ft deep (0.5-4.5 m)
The snap and twist dual lock system ensure a secure fit so you can capture sharp and vibrant colors in all water conditions.
Tip: if you have some of the older models, find here the PolarPro underwater filter kit for Hero7, Hero6 and Hero5 !
SANDMARC Dive filter set for GoPro Hero7 Black, Hero6, Hero5
Capture sharp and bright images with SANDMARC filters! Being a high-quality accessory designer for GoPro and DJI products, you can be sure that SANDMARC Aqua filter kit delivers you footage you will be satisfied with.
- fits GoPro Hero Hero7 Black, Hero6 and Hero5 SuperSuit housing
- 5 underwater filters for any water conditions
- with microfiber cleaning cloth and tether for maximum protection
- versatile premium GoPro accessory
This GoPro Red Filter Kit fis compatible with the GoPro Hero7 Black, Hero6 and Hero5 cameras’ Super Suit housings and includes 5 filters so you will always find the matching one no matter you go snorkeling in shallow water or diving at night:
- 3 red filter for depths 5-20 ft (1.5-6 m), 20-50 ft (6-15 m), 50+ ft (15+ m)
- magenta filter for greenish water
- yellow filter for diving at night
SOONSUN Dive filter kit for Hero6, Hero5 and Hero7
This GoPro red filter kit might be a good choice for those who use their GoPro just occasionally underwater and looking for an affordable product to enhance the colors of their snorkeling and diving videos and photos.
- 3in1 diving filter kit for GoPro Hero7 Black, Hero6 and Hero5 and Hero 2018
- Red, light red and magenta filter
- can be used with original GoPro SuperSuit housing and SOONSUN underwater case
- easy-to-use snap on/off system
SOONSUN red filter set includes all the filters you need if you go snorkeling and diving:
- light red filter: us while snorkeling up to 15 ft (4.5 m) depth
- red filter: use while diving in tropical water from 12 to 75 ft (3.5-23 m)
- magenta filter: use in fresh and/or green water up to 75 ft (23 m)
The filters can be used with the original GoPro Super Suit housing for the above-mentioned models or also company’s own waterproof housing. Note that you can order everything in a package, see this option here: SOONSUN GoPro waterproof housing with dive filters . This type of set is available for Hero8 as well: GoPro Hero8 Black waterproof housing with red filters .
Camkix GoPro red filter review
We prefer editing our underwater videos using software, therefore, we didn’t want to spend a higher amount on the filters and decided to give a try to the cheaper CamKix brand.
The Camkix diving lens kit came with 5 filters in a storage bag:
- 3 red filters: 5-20 feet (1.5-6 meters) 20-50 feet (6-15 meters) 50 feet+ (15 meters+)
- magenta filter: for fresh or salt green water due to high concentration of algae
- yellow filter: ideal for night up to 130 feet (40 meters)
- designed for GoPro Hero4 and Hero3+
- 5 underwater filters for any various underwater conditions
- easy clip and slip system
- with storage bag, tether and cleaning cloth
Camkix red filter kit for Hero6 and Hero5 also available as well as underwater filters for GoPro session .
CamKix diving lens kit for GoPro pros and cons
We have tested the Camkix GoPro red filter kit for Hero4 in different conditions in the Mediterranean Sea, Red Sea, Indian Ocean and are pleased with the results. Using the right filter colors are bright but natural, and also the contrast improved. The photos and videos are more detailed when the filter is on. A nice surprise that the water seems much clearer on the footage than in the reality!
The filter holder can be mounted on the waterproof housing and fits perfectly. The Easy Clip and Slip system makes changing the different underwater GoPro filters simple and fast.
- instantly improved colors
- great price
- all in one pack for various underwater conditions
- easy installation: filter holder fits perfectly on the waterproof housing
- changing filters could be a bit difficult because the filter fits tight in the holder (but at least it won’t slide out accidentally)
- you need to be careful to avoid scratches
In total, Camkix GoPro red filter set works pretty well! The filters we used improved the colors noticeably, the kit has a great value for money.
Inspired? Pin it!
"Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I'll make a small commission at no extra cost to you."