Get a waterproof case for iPhone X, XS, XR and XS Max models and enjoy taking photos in every weather condition even while snorkeling or diving! Using an iPhone underwater case provides you with the highest-level protection against damages that can happen by the pool and makes your device safe to use at the beach in saltwater too.
Table of Contents
Do you need waterproof case for iPhone X models?
You might think that iPhone latest flagships models are waterproof and it is safe to use them while swimming in the sea too. But let’s take a closer look at the specifications:
Are the iPhone X models waterproof or water-resistant?
iPhone X and XR: IP67 rate, submersible up to 3ft/1m up to 30 minutes
iPhone XS and XS Max: IP68 rate, can be submerged in water up to 6ft/1.8m for maximum 30 minutes
According to the IEC standard 60529 IP ratings, the iPhone X models are only water-resistant not waterproof. Long submersion periods may damage the device, therefore you need to cover them with a waterproof case if taken underwater.
It is also important to keep in mind that the warranty does not cover any saltwater damage so never take your iPhone into saltwater without extra protection! Salty water can cause immediate damage to your phone’s sensitive electronic as well as erodes metal parts. Furthermore, tiny particles like sand and salt might block the microphone and speaker. Buy a waterproof case for iPhone X and turn your smartphone into a though, all-rounder camera. This small investment will make your smartphone safe-to-use while snorkeling, diving or any other water sports activities. After the success of the iPhone 7/8 underwater housings, now a wide variety of case types are available for iPhone X/XS/XR models too.
Tip: if you feel real passion for underwater photography, enjoy spending long hours in the water observing the marine life and capturing sea creatures, consider buying an underwater compact camera!
Comparison table of the Best waterproof cases
What are the best iPhone X waterproof cases?
There are 3 different iPhone waterproof case types available from basic to professional ones:
- waterproof iPhone bag
- IP68 rate waterproof case
- professional iPhone dive case
To decide which one is the best waterproof case for iPhone X that meets your needs the most, specify your expectations and answer the following questions:
- How deep you want to take your phone?
- Would you like to go swimming, snorkeling only or also diving?
- How long do you want to stay in the water?
Clarifying these questions will help you to determine what waterproof case for iPhone X suits your needs the best. Waterproof phone bags can be used with all models within the given measurements, but you need to be careful when buying an underwater case. The X and XS models are compatible, while only certain cases fit the XR and XS Max models since they have different height and width dimensions. You will find our recommendations for each phone type below.
Waterproof iPhone bag
Cellphone dry bags are great to protect your smartphone and other valuables like money, room card from sand, dirt and providing basic water protection too. The waterproof iPhone bag can be used while kayaking, swimming or any water activity and saves your phone if it accidentally falls into the water, but are not designed for underwater photography due to the following reasons:
- touchscreen functions don’t work well underwater
- you can control the phone and take photos using the buttons only
- waterproof phone bag does not provide protection against pressure, sensitive displays may have issues
The best-rated cellphone dry bags are JOTO cellphone dry pouch and MPOW universal waterproof bag.
- Waterproof phone bag that fits iPhone and Android phones up to 6”
- Universal dry bag for small valuables like room key, card or money
- Transparent cover on both sides allow all camera functions and touchscreen access
- Simple snap and lock system provides protection against water, dust and sand
- IPX8 certified high-level watertight feature - waterproof up to 100 ft
- Extra neck strap included, available in a wide range of colors
- Universal waterproof phone pouch fits cell phones under 6” screen size
- Dual side transparent cover allowing access to front and back camera too
- Fully submersible IPX8 rated waterproof bag to keep your phone, money, credit cards clean and dry
iPhone waterproof case
The IP68 certified waterproof case for iPhone X/XS, XS Max or XR makes your device submersible up to 10-33 feet (3-10 m) depending on the model. It provides snow, dust and shock protection too. While in the case, you can still use the touch functions as well as the buttons and cameras. Don’t let the elements stop you from taking photos! These cases can be used while any water activity including snorkeling and shallow diving too!
The best iPhone X/XS, XR and XS Max waterproof case brands:
- ORDTBY iPhone case for X/XS
- Lifeproof FRE SERIES for iPhone X
- OUNNE iPhone XR Case
- OTBBA iPhone XS Max Case
- Catalyst iPhone XR case
iPhone diving case
The best, most reliable iPhone underwater case versions come with IPX8 certification and are waterproof up to 130-160 feet (40-60 m) depending on brand and model. Buying an iPhone dive case is the best choice for real adventurers. Get the fitting case and take your phone to any wet, rainy, snowy and other extreme environments without worrying to damage it! However, to get full protection, you need to give up on having full access to the phone functions. Usually, camera functions available, but usually you cannot use the touchscreen (please always see the user manual since the options vary on each model) Professional underwater cases are available for all iPhone X models including X/XS, XS Max and XR.
HAWEEL iPhone XR underwater case
This professional waterproof case for iPhone XR makes your device suitable for underwater photography. The HAWEEL iPhone diving case provides IPX8 protection meaning it is waterproof up to 130ft (40 m). Perfect to use while any other outdoor activity like skiing, surfing, kayaking thanks to the anti-drop and anti-freeze features. Easy to control, both back and front cameras can be used. The HAWEEL iPhone case comes with anti-reflection glass. Made of high-quality durable materials. HAWEEL offers iPhone X/XS and XS Max dive cases too.
- depth rate: up to 130 ft (40m)
- use back and front camera, you can take photos or videos
- 1/4 screw hole for easy installation of underwater selfie sticks or tripods
- provides schockproof, dropproof, dustproof protection too
ProShot iPhone dive case for XS Max
The US-based ProShot company offers tough underwater case for iPhone X/XS, XS Max and XR smartphones that are waterproof up to 50ft (15 m). All ProShot iPhone cases are easy-to-use thanks to touch screen compatibility, moreover, they can be mounted with GoPro and other action camera mounts. The free ProShot app makes your device controllable underwater too when the wet touchscreen doesn’t work by using the volume buttons. Practical gratis floating hand grip keeps your device afloat if accidentally falls in water.
- the ultimate iPhone XS Max diving case for underwater photography
- depth rate: up to 50 ft (15m)
- can be used with GoPro mounts
- extra floating handgrip included
MEIKON iPhone Diving case X/XS
Durable polycarbonate and ABS plastic iPhone dive case that comes with advanced waterproof features up to 195ft (60 m). The Meikon waterproof case for iPhone X/XS opens new opportunities in your underwater photography thanks to the video light/strobe connectivity options. While snorkeling and diving, the built-in red and magenta filters provides instant color correction.
- though polycarbonate iPhone dive case that is compatible with iPhone X / XS
- depth rate: up to 16` ft (60m)
- strobe / video light connection
- built-in magenta and red filter for underwater color correction
- no touchscreen access