Coral reefs are in danger all over the world and research proved that chemical sunscreens contribute to coral bleaching. Protecting our waters and the marine life is our responsibility. US National Marine Park Service study shows that approx. 6000-14000 tons of sunscreen end up in the ocean every year. It’s time to make a change and shift to biodegradable sunscreen! Stream2Sea sunscreen products are proved to be safe for coral reefs and with our special Stream2Sea coupon you can buy them with 10% off! Use snorkelaroundtheworld code!
What is a biodegradable sunscreen?
Biodegradable sunscreen breaks down in the environment naturally, does not contain harmful ingredients linked to coral bleaching and safe for aquatic ecosystems. Fact is that there is no official ocean-safe certification and sadly, many products are advertised safe, but in fact, they are not. Most companies test biodegradability in wastewater treatment facilities only, but Stream2Sea sunscreen products are proven to be biodegradable not only in freshwater but in salt water too. Moreover, they have passed aquatic toxicity tests. Stream2Sea biodegradable sunscreen range is good for the environment and for your body too.
Use our Stream2Sea coupon “snorkelaroundtheworld” to get 10% discount!
Biodegradable sunscreen ingredients
Stream2Sea products made of natural biodegradable ingredients and are considered one of the best coral reef safe sunscreen brand. Stream2Sea uses non-nano Titanium Dioxide as active ingredient. Although nano Titanium Dioxide can harm marine life through photo-oxidation, non-nano TiO2 is considered to be safe and biologically inert. Non-nano Titanium Dioxide is the only active ingredient used in the Stream2Sea biodegradable sunscreen range. It provides UVA and UVB protection but does not create photo-oxidation. Additionally, high performance and mineral-based Stream2Sea sunscreen products contain an antioxidant blend of Green Tea, Tulsi, Wakame Seaweed and Olive Leaf.
Snorkel Around The World Tip: The best way to reduce the impact on the environment is minimizing the amount of sunscreen you use by wearing UV Protection clothing.
How to use a mineral sunscreen?
The biggest challenge of using a mineral sunscreen is how to apply it? Customers often complain that it is harder to rub and many don’t like the whitening effect. Stream2Sea faced these challenges too, therefore, the team worked hard to optimize the formula to be user-friendly. Stream2Sea sunscreen contains Titanium Dioxide in a developed formula to minimize the heavy-oily feel and whitish effect. It is important to know, that in order to skip the whitening effect, companies should use nano zinc or titanium dioxide which is not safe for nature and not even for the body. With this in mind, you understand why all non-nano mineral sunscreens will stay white to a certain degree.
- Contains our potent antioxidant blend of Green Tea, Tulsi, Wakame and Olive Leaf
- Broad Spectrum UVA and UVB Protection
- Water resistant for at 80 minutes of swimming or activity
- Non-greasy and wont burn your eyes
- Contains 8.8% (Non-Nano) Titanium Dioxide
Autumn Blum(founder of the company) recommends to apply only a small amount first: rub a pea-sized into the palm of your hands then blend on your face, arms, and shoulders and so on. The white effect fades in about 15 minutes. Stream2Sea sunscreen products feature water-resistance but you need to reapply every 80 minutes. To remove it completely, you need to wash it off with water and soap. Using a mineral, biodegradable sunscreen is more work and you might look a little whitish, but it is safe for your body and not harmful to the environment. Ultimately this is the most important, isn’t it?
What is a broad spectrum sunscreen?
Broad spectrum sunscreen meaning it provides protection from not only from UVB rays but from UVA rays too. Non-broad spectrum products offer protection only from UVB rays that are responsible for sunburn but this is just a half solution. UVA rays reach the deeper layers of the skin causing cellular level damage on elastin and collagen fibers that leads to aging and wrinkles. Stream2Sea biodegradable sunscreen products exceed FDA’s requirements (US Food and Drug Administration) meaning feature both UVB and UVB protection.
Stream2Sea biodegradable sunscreen and body care products
This eco-friendly company offer not only sun protection but after sun and body care products as well.
Don’t forget to use our Stream2Sea coupon “snorkelaroundtheworld” for 10% discount!
Stream2Sea biodegradable sunscreen is available with SPF 20 and SPF 30 protection. The updated Stream2Sea tinted sunscreen range made with natural tint that reduces whitening effect.
Stream2Sea biodegradable body care:
- Aftersun Sting Relief Gel: aloe and green tea extracts cools the skin after sun exposure and helps shooting irritation caused by insect or stings
- Nourishing body lotion: hydrates sun damaged skin
- Mineral lip balm: protects and moisturizes the lips, made with coconut butter
- Shampoo and Body Wash: to clean, strengthen and condition hair as well as protect its color
- Leave-in Hair Conditioner: made of natural ingredients, protects the hair from sun and saltwater damage
To be more sustainable, as packaging they use sugarcane resin tubes or in bottles made from recycled milk jugs and/or biodegradable plastic bags.
Where to buy Stream2Sea sunscreen?
Stream2Sea is a US-based company but their products are available at more than 1000 stores worldwide. If you prefer shopping from the comfort of your home, browse the whole product range on their website or in Stream2Sea Amazon shop. When ordering directly from their online shop, use our Stream2Sea coupon code snorkelaroundtheworld at the checkout for 10% instant off!
Dangerous sunscreen ingredients
Unfortunately, there is no proper regulation for „green” or „natural” and some products are not as advertised despite the pretty Safe labels. The best advice is: always read the ingredients list before buying a cosmetic product! Here is a little guide on the dangerous ingredients to avoid:
- Oxybenzone (Benzophenone-3): the most common ingredient in FDA approved sunscreens that are used to reduce UV exposure. Oxybenzone is hazardous irritant for eye contact and slightly hazardous for direct skin contact. It penetrates the skin, according to the Center for Disease Control 97% of the population in the US have this chemical circulating in the body. Listed as a direct cause of coral bleaching by scientists
- Parabens: Parabens are preservatives to prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast, and molds and about 85% of the products contain them. Parabens like propyl, methyl or butylparaben can mimic the hormone estrogen which might contribute to breast cancer. Always buy Paraben free products
- Avobenzone/benzophenone: used instead of Oxybenzone but not different from it! Works as Oxybenzone penetrates the skin and increases risk of cancer
- SLS and SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl): well-known enemies that are still widely used despite their proven irritating effects. SLS is an emulsifier that makes shampoos, body washes and detergents to foam. Although SLS is derived from coconuts,’ it is not natural. Can cause irritation and also toxic to aquatic organism
- Nanoparticles: Nanomaterials are microparticles with the diameter of 1 to 100 nanometers. Due to this small size, they penetrate the skin and might harm the DNA. Although nanoparticles are important in the energy industry, they are dangerous and linked to produce free radicals
- Microbeads: tiny plastic particles in scrubs, exfoliants, but also in toothpaste. Because of their small size, most wastewater treatment plants cannot filter these them and they end up in the ocean, at the end in fish and in other aquatic species
- Nano Zinc: Zinc is found naturally in the environment and in seawater. And you might say that many zinc-based sunscreens are promoted to be safe-to-use even for kids. That’s correct, mineral sunscreens don’t cause coral bleaching but recent studies prove that nano zinc oxide caused disorders in sea life
- Cyclopentasiloxane/Cyclomethicone: Silicone-based ingredients soften the skin and smooth hair but mean a potential danger if bioaccumulates in human body or in aquatic organisms
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is a human carcinogen. You won’t find it in the ingredients list, but certain preservatives used as paraben replacements like Diazolidinyl, Quaternium-15urea, DMDM Hydantoin etc… release formaldehyde
- Oxtinoxate/Octyl methoxycinnamate: Commonly used UV filter. Human urine, blood and breast milk might contain oxtinoxate, showing that it is systematically absorbed. Oxtinoxate is an endocrine disruptor that can mimic hormones and additionally, listed as a direct cause for coral bleaching
- Methylisothiazolinone: A preservative that is sensitizer and irritant, therefore, can cause severe allergic reaction
- Homosalate: Used as UV absorber that helps sunscreen ingredients penetrate your skin. It bio-accumulates in the body faster than it can be eliminated. Generally speaking it is hormone disrupter
- Octocrylene: A synthetic UV absorber and SPF (Sun Protection Factor) booster. It may cause allergic reactions on sensitive skin.
- Quaternium-15: A very effective, broad antimicrobial ingredient preservative. Even in low concentration classified as a skin and eye irritant
- Phthalates: Commonly found in synthetic fragrances. High levels can cause sluggish sperm and low testosterone levels in adult males. Moreover, phthalates classified as endocrine disruptors that can interfere with normal brain function
- Retinyl Palmitate: composed of palmitic acid and retinol (Vitamin A). If applied to the skin in sunlight, retinol breaks down producing free radicals resulting higher chance for skin tumors
Stream2Sea’s business model promotes transparency towards customers and business partners. They are transparent with their lab, tests and results, customers’ opinion and questions do matter. Visit their website or Stream2Sea Amazon shop to browse their biodegradable sunscreen and skin care products, and enjoy 10% off with our Stream2Sea coupon code: snorkelaroundtheworld!